Sunday, February 17, 2013

Rice and beans (and chorizo and tomatoes and all)

This is a pretty unhealthy, meaty version of what could be a very healthy vegan meal. Do it up however you like. I made a giant pot and froze large portions in quart-sized Ziploc freezer bags.

Beans and rice are a complete and very inexpensive protein, as well as being a great source of fiber. Pro-tip: whether you cook your own beans or used the canned ones, rinse off as much as the liquid as possible because the liquid will only give you gas. Like farts. I cook my own beans, rinse and drain them, and then freeze them. This way I have them on hand when I need them and I know that no salt has been added. Canned beans are obviously even easier, but I find they take up too much room in my cupboard and they are significantly more expensive and saltier than dried beans.

At the very least, you'll need oil, garlic, onions. rice, black beans, and salt. Add a can of tomatoes and chilis (like Rotel) or salsa to take it to the next level. Chorizo or tofu make it a heartier meal with even more protein.  Use Adobo powder (you can find large jars of it at your local Latin grocer or in the "ethnic" food section of your grocery store) if you want to add a little more flavor--just remember that Adobo powder is flavored salt, so you don't need to use it if you've already added salt and you should be careful not to add too much.

As long as the beans and rice are already cooked, putting this together only takes about 20 minutes, including the time it takes to cook the chorizo and soften up the onions.

Ingredients:

  • Some oil, like peanut oil or vegetable oil or whatever. Use olive oil if you want to. 
  • A spoonful of minced garlic (I use minced garlic from a jar because ain't nobody got time to mince that much garlic)
  • 1 large onion, chopped. I used a sweet onion. 
  • Optional: Chorizo. I used two thick sausages.
  • Optional: Two cans of Rotel or generic tomatoes and chilis. Use more or less as you like.
  • 2 cans black beans or the equivalent of your own cooked beans
  • A ton of brown rice. Like 4-6 cups. I made a giant pot and froze 
  • Optional: Adobo powder 
  • Optional: corn, frozen or in a can (drain it if it's in a can)
  • Optional: fresh cilantro to taste
  • Optional: a green onion, sliced
  • Optional: sliced hot peppers to taste, fresh or pickled (fresh is spicier) 
  • Optional: fried plantains (recipe to come)
  • Optional: a fried egg
  • Optional: a dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt



Directions:

  1. Pour yourself a glass of Tempranillo.  
  2. Remove the casing from the chorizo with a sharp knife or kitchen shears. Saute it on medium heat, breaking it up until it's cooked through.
  3. Add the garlic to the pan and saute in the sausage grease until fragrant, about 30 seconds. 
  4. Add the chopped onion and saute until soft.
  5. Add the tomatoes and beans to pan. Mix the ingredients together. 
  6. Add the rice. I just spoon it in and mix it around until I feel like I have a good ratio of rice and beans. In the picture above, I think there's too much rice, but it's not really something you can go back and fix. 
  7. My beans weren't salted, so I felt like the final product was a little bland. I added some Adobo for a little kick. 
  8. Finish the bottle of Tempranillo. 
P.S.: Like I said, I froze what I made, and I plan on taking it to work for lunch in the coming week. I'll add frozen corn before I heat it up--my husband doesn't like corn in his beans and rice, or I would have added it while I was cooking. I'll also top it with fresh cilantro and sliced green onions, because I'm fancy. And, if it were up to me, I would have added hot peppers, but again, the husband cramps my style. 
P.P.S.: I would also eat this for breakfast with a sunny-side up egg on top. Break the yolk and let it mix it with the rice. It's so tasty. 
P.P.P.S.: This is basically a burrito filling. Make a bunch of burritos, wrap them in aluminum foil, and freeze them for handy, inexpensive, all-natural, healthy frozen burritos. 
P.P.P.P.S.: Mix this with cheese, put it in a tortilla, put the tortilla in a casserole dish, and pour enchilada sauce over the top to make...an enchilada. Do this multiple times to make multiple enchiladas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment